Wednesday, August 19, 2015

On the Road Again

It's been a little while.

It's been almost eight months since my last post, to be precise. This blog was originally kept as a Peace Corps blog; then it morphed into a travel blog, during my two and a half month trek in the Balkans. I suppose it could have become a farm blog during these last eight months, but it didn't. Despite the fertile material (pun intended) at my fingertips, I took a hiatus from writing. I learned to drive a tractor. I became skilled at seeding brassicas, a family of vegetables (kale, collards, cabbage) with biblically tiny seeds. I harvested more tomatoes than I want to think about. But write I did not.

But now I'm gearing up to be on the move again. In six days (six! Count 'em!) I'll be on a plane bound for London, to start my masters' in Environment and Development at the London School of Economics. I'll spend most of the month of September in France, travelling a little, reconnecting with old friends (B. Dunn, I'm comin' for ya!), but mostly spending time with Pierre, my boyfriend of eight months and a new addition to this narrative. Blogosphere, meet Pierre-Henry. He's pretty much the greatest.

I'll try to keep the sappy couples' selfies to a minimum. Indulge me this once.

Thus the reboot of the blog, because the alternative use of my morning is packing. Just as there's nothing like a looming final paper to make you suddenly realize how desperately your apartment needs to be cleaned, there's nothing like needing to sort out a backpack's worth of my earthly possessions to drive me to the keyboard.

I won't promise that I'll keep this up; grad school is going to bring with it a lot more work and a very different schedule than I have enjoyed for the last three years, and it's entirely possible that once my semester starts I'll barely have time to heat Ramen noodles, let alone write blog posts.

But... I'll give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment